Jeff's Blog

Sunday, June 11, 2006

AEM Cold Air Intake

Hear you can see the Stock Air Intake for my 1997 Accord. The black box next to the battery contains the filter, and there is a resonator box in the wheel well, which is fed by the "snorkel" that sticks up between the filter box and the head light.

Here you can see the installed Cold air intake. The smooth tube goes straight into the wheel well, and attaches to the Filter










This is a picture of the kit. The filter on the right is positioned through the wheel well onto the end of the tube. The round thing in the foreground if a bypass valve. It is a release valve so that if you submerge your filter in water, you won't suck water into your engine. I left it off when installing. When I installed the intake I noticed that the end of the intake was about 14 inches off of the ground. I made a decision that I should never be in water that deep anyway, and accepted the risk, and left it out. It is your call, but I can't think of a time when I would be most of the wheel deep in water. If I am I will turn off the engine, and pray.

This intake is LOUD. The intake really adds a lot of sound. I like it. It is only when you really hit the gas.

I added an APEX RC Sport exhaust, and it is smooth and throaty.

I added power pulleys too. Here is a picture. I replaced the Power Steering Pulley, and the alternator pulley with these over sized pulleys, which rotate the shafts slower taking less power from the engine. Here you can see the stock power steering pulley laying on top of the newly installed Power pulley. Below that you can kind of see the new alternator pulley. A friend put it best. Power pulleys make the car run like the A/C is off, when the AC is on. Then when you turn off the AC, that is the kind of power gain you get. Noticeable, but not earth changing. Definitely worth the money.

With all of these improvements my car is more fun to drive. I added maybe 15 HP, but the throttle response is much better. The throttle used to lag a lot, now I can "chain saw it" in neutral.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home