Jeff's Blog

Saturday, May 19, 2007

12th Mod, Floor Mat Fix

People that have the Rubber Subaru mats like I do complain they do not stay in place.

There are many theories, but on mine the rubber spikes wore off in the middle of the mat where my feet are, then it just slides around.

What I did was rip a piece of plex down to 1 3/8” on a table saw. Then I used the table saw to put facets on the end to round it.

Then I drilled a half inch hole at the rounded end.

I applied foam double sided tape to the bottom of the ridge that runs most directly toward the peg in the floor.

Then I attached the strip of plex leaving the hole 1 and ½ inches from the edge of the mat. Then I drilled 4, 1/8” holes through the mat, and plex. Then I ran 4 rivets through the plex. My rivets were ½” so I had to cut them down a little. I used wire cutters and a Drimmel for that.

Then I put the mat in the car, putting the peg through the hole.

After driving with it a couple days, I found the plex was popping off of the peg. The peg has a slight bulge about half way up. I should have drilled the hole a little smaller, and then forced it over the peg. Instead I found a rubber grommet, and forced it onto the peg which should keep everything in place.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home